Saturday, March 10, 2007

not late but awake in the face of a new-day

The Beginning.

Do you sleep? What a dumb question.
Regardless, I raise the subject because I am awake, it is quite late and I have been so for a while. Last night I walked around Highgate Village at five am with a friend of mine talking about life, universe and the planets. It seemed an appropriately pretentious place to do it, also we both live there so that helped a bit.

Two evenings backward from now were spent between talking to said friend about how killing some idiotic Frenchman in a flat in East Finchley was a bad idea; a few hours prior to this I sat in a bar in Soho with a different friend and discussed going to (‘)Cannes (in a VAN’); talking predominantly over how the hell we work the logistics of it all. It strikes me that there is a weirdly juxtaposed degree of synchronicity going on here.

Check both of my friends out here, they both deserve more than the time of day
… for very different reasons.

www.cannesinavan.com
www.geocities.com/moritzlanglotz/index.html

Perhaps I will go and watch a film. I could be painfully obvious and go with the bleak Cyberpunk techno-vibe of this here blog and claim that I could not get through the drudge of the hours without immersing myself in the (most commonly viewed out of the seven versions) Directors Cut edition of Blade Runner. Yes. But no.
This is not my desire.

Instead I will watch ‘Lone Wolf and Cub – Sword of Vengeance’, which is awesome.
If you have not seen it, go of your way to do so.

Kenjutsu, (Ken – Sword, Jutsu – Art, for future reference) in 1972 Japanese cinema at it’s best. There is a samurai called Ogami Itto, he has a little boy by the name of Daigoro. Ogami Itto spends the piece protecting the child and attempting to wreak vengeance on the 16th Century ruling feudal clan that murdered his much beloved wife. He does a pretty good job of it and consequently hacks the shit out of everyone along the way whilst retaining a degree of flawlessly beautiful movement throughout.

Itto was played by Wakayama Tomisaburo, who was once and long ago instructor of kenjutsu to a most excellent old dude who teaches me martial arts.

I now wonder where the hell I put the DVD.