Monday, April 16, 2007

Ever see the film Pretty in Pink? You know who Ducky is?
Released in 1986, the film was written by a man and some people acted in it. This is not a film-trivia orientated paragraph, aside from saying that Molly Ringwald played the lead, well. This evening a friend of mine broke up with his lady. He knew it was going to happen. It had to happen. Afterwards he found that he was very sad. He is a good man, and essentially it strikes me that he was saddened to have had to turn his back on a person that he cared about so much. The girl was crying as he walked out. Now he is sat in my living room playing video games. It seems to be an age old plot. The billion dollar question. Comedy or Tragedy?

Pretty in Pink has a character in it by the name of Duckie. Duckie is in love with Andy (Molly Ringwald), who is in love with a preppy fraternity boy called Blane, who dates an idiot. The one angle in the film that does not change at any point is Duckie being in love with Andy, despite knowing that she would never want to be with him. He would fight for her, defend her name and put his shoe down in artic water so as she could cross the ground on his foot. Obviously this is not attractive to the confused girl. She would rather go with the unattainable and set her sights on some predictable asshole. Pretty in Pink had two endings. When the film was shot the first time, Duckie got the girl. The test audience did not like it and so the cast and crew were called back to shoot a different version, in which Andy got Blane. This says a lot about people.

Maybe you have to see the film to get my point.
Though it is highly possible that I don’t have one.

I think my point is that my friend walked away because he was a Blane.
I think he is a fool. Then again I always liked Ducky.

Last night I sat in a flat in Finsbury Park and wondered things about short films.
The experience was in the name of CANNES in a VAN. I was with Andy of CiaV and two of his friends. We watched a lot of films. A few of them really made me think about things, the character of Ducky included.

There were some seriously great creations in the mix, by directors who will obviously go a very long way and in some sense it is an honour to represent these shorts at Cannes. Which is in about four weeks. So we are counting down. More so than usual.

A few of them should be compulsory viewing. So if you are at Cannes and you see a transit van (this one: www.cannesinavan.com) then come and look. Really, it will be worth it, and last night for the first time that REALLY hit me. It was a pleasing moment.

When sat in the flat the two friends of my friends were a couple, a seemingly tight one. I got the impression the guy had a lot of time for this woman. The dynamic reminded me of Pretty in Pink, if maybe Duckie had won. Also very pleasing.

My friend is still in the sitting room. I am still at my computer writing this crap.
He just came to ask why I was I was doing this when I could be pretending to fight Korea in the winter. Duckie. Always good.

No comments: