Saturday, May 24, 2008

Gael in 60 Seconds...

late Thursday 22nd May 2008

After my casual demeanor following my sighting of Spielberg, I thought I was unstarstruckable. Alas, I was wrong. GAEL GARCIA BERNAL had the power...and this is how it came to pass that a grown woman was stopped in her tracks by a vista of beauty...

As myself, Stu and Andy made our way to the van from the Internet cafe, Andy turned and asked, "Isn't that the guy from The Motorcycle Diaries?". I turned around and sure enough, a vision of hobbit-sized perfection (for you Nithra x) was heading in the opposite direction. I set off at warp speed, then realising I didn't have a camera (since blowing up my camera battery on the second day with a french converter I have been 'sans' camera), tunred back and screeched at Andy to give me his. As a hetrosexual man, I don't think he quite understood the relevance and importance of speedy camera passing in this situation and failed to act. So I pelted down the road, past GAEL and his lady friend, and hovered and stared a few metres in front of them. They stopped to look in a shop window which was my golden chance to advance on him. But instead my body chose to dither on the same spot, whilst they carried on their way and walked right past me.

I would have loved to be telling the tale as Stu suggested - that he and Andy pranced down the road after him, drooling, whilst I cooly stood back, unimpressed. And then Gael walked right past them, over to me, and handed me his phone number. And we lived happily ever after.

But it didn't happen that way and I am kicking myself. Regardless, I still had a big smile on my face all the way back to the van and for the rest of the evening. Afterall, I was lucky enough to see GAEL on an open street, a metre away from me, and gaze at him uninterupted for a full minute. Anyway, I have since found our that he lives in Brick Lane, about 20 minutes from where I live!!

Cath xxx

No comments: