Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Stars of wonder

4am Monday 19th May 2008

I'm surprised at how easily I have taken to being in Cannes. I think it is 'cause I haven't really had a moment to stop and think about being here. It's just been so hectic. We are constantly dashing between the campsite and the Croistte, charging batteries, cameras and phones and trying to get things uplaoded on the website, not even remembering to eat. As we take our place on the Croisette each night and screen our films from all the talented people who have been sending them in, I am vaguely aware that there are some seriously famous amd successful film people here. Tonight was the first time I really had a taste of the glitz and glamour. It was the Indiana Jones premiere this evening and unsurprisingly there was a lot of hype, more flashy cars than usual and a definite feeling of excitement in the air. Cannes literally seemed to be buzzing. Plus, it was the first hot and dry day and evening since we arrived and all the 'beautiful' people had come out to play. Lots of orange limbs, peroxide hair and bulging breasts strutting down the crowded Croisette.

We had a excellent spot tonight, right outside the Grand Hotel, and about 50 yards from the Indiana Jones party so could hear as soon as the paps starting hollering at the stars. Andy and Stu managed to get amongst the crowd and Andy caught a glimpse of Harrison Ford. Meanwhile I (wo)manned the van, strangely not feeling particularly fussed about seeing anyone famous.

But then all that changed. I wandered off to Petit Magestic for la toilette (it sounds almost glamorous in French!) and some beers for us thirsty workers, only to discover I had left my purse behind. Now, Petit Majestic is a bit of a walk from where we park so on my return I decided to venture down the other end of the Croisette, passed the Indiana party and found a kiosk selling beer. As I strolled back along the seafront, I noticed a tremendous flapping and papping around the Indiana party. As I got closer I heard everyone desperatly screaming "Steven! Steven!". So there I was, dv camera in hand, pushing for a view of Spielberg along with rest of the oggling crowd. And then suddenly there he was - I had a proper clear view of him, and amazingly, considering I had been wildly flailing the camera above my head, managed to get him on film. Pretty exciting stuff! And then I wandered back to our little yellow van, with the 6 chairs rowed up in front of it and out little audience watching a low budget wonder powered by boat batteries, marvelling at the fact that in the space of 50 yards, two completely different worlds can be being happening simultaneously.


Cath xxx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cath,
Can't wait to see the footage of Mr. S on daily motion. I'm having trouble making contact with Janus and he's not in your postings, is he with you?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cath,
I can't contact Janus - could you please ask him please please to check his e-mail soon.

dee said...

That is an excellent juxtaposition of the situation there. I too cannot wait for said photo. Yay for hot days and steamy evenings.

Cath said...

Hi Muffin

Do not fearm Janus is fine. He's been with us every evening and has parked up next to us at the campsite. I'll let him know you're trying to get hold of him xxx